Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The List

When we moved to Sweden one year ago (and it will be one year this coming Friday, September 2) we had the weekend, Labor Day, and then we both reported to work on the following Tuesday. Now this house is big, there is no two ways about it. It is hard to keep clean especially with two dogs but for the most part we have managed. Where we have struggled thus far is the garden. 

The property surrounding the house is not large, to mow the lawn, front and side takes maybe 30 minutes on a slow day, but when the landscaping was done a lot of thought went into it. What we have noticed is that from Spring all the way until late Summer there is something blooming. We have been able to identify lilacs, peonies, spirea, rhododendrons, roses and one other flowering tree that I can't identify. We have been told it is jasmine, but I am not convinced.

The trouble with all of this is that there is no landscape plan, and no gardener. We are supposed to do this all ourselves and to be honest I have a brown thumb from hell. In addition we have not had the time to really work on it like we should. Once again, two dogs have not necessarily helped either. After next week my goal is to read up on the plants, and do some major work out there in that garden. Things need to be pruned, deadheaded, mowed, plucked, cleaned and may a weeds pulled. I am looking forward to this but intimidated at the same time. I have started a list of what we have and how to take care of it and this will be my road map.

In addition I have started a list of things around the rest of the house that I have noticed and just not have had time to deal with, or have been so tired I just ignored it. There are some draperies that need rehanging, some pictures that need to be moved and hung up properly, maybe even swapping out a light fixture or two. I know it is not our house, but we are going to be here another three years so I want it to be something we are both comfortable in.

Anyway, the garden and landscaping shall be first so we don't piss off the neighbors. I so wish we could afford a gardner LOL. Will keep you all posted to progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment