Saturday, August 13, 2011

Change, good or just scary?

As I have mentioned in previous posts my current job contract is ending mid-September and that means I am going to have to find another job here in Stockholm. This is kind of daunting as my Swedish is hardly good enough to land me a job. 

I also am worried about boredom until I find something to do. I want to be sure that I get out, and see parts of Stockholm, and even Sweden that I have not seen yet, but I also know myself well enough to recognize I can just as easily do nothing all day too. 

I've also considered trying to do something here on my own, kind of build a business for myself. Maybe a dog walking business, or a home cleaning business or I might see if I can get some photography gigs. It would be nice to have something that was flexible and portable. Something I could do from wherever I am, but I wonder if my photography is actually good enough. 

Ah well, we shall see. 

2 comments:

  1. I just started reading your blog and I am curious how you made out. My partner (American) and I (German) lived in the US for 10 years, then my job brought us last year to London and in about a month we're moving to Munich and he will probably go through the same then you did almost exactly a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!! I sent you an email! I hope you get it, but basically what I said is;
      We're surviving! I'd kill for a Costco though! It's almost 2 years, and we have at least 2 years left on this assignment, possibly 3. My contract with Adobe ended almost a year ago (in September) and still no other job. It's been tough to not really do anything and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to fill up my days. At least in the summer the weather is nice and we travel a bit, as well as have some visitors so that helps.

      The biggest hurdle to landing a job for me is the language barrier. Being as we are here on a Diplomatic posting I am not eligible for the language training the immigrants have and I have to wait on the Canadian government to figure out their budget to see if there is money left over for spousal language training.

      All in all though, I am glad we did it. I do enjoy it a lot, and the dogs do too!

      How are you guys doing?

      Delete