Saturday, October 22, 2011

Trends (strictly my opinion)

I have noticed lately that a lot of people have been getting gastric bypass surgery. A lot. I know some people who desperately needed it as their health and in some cases their lives depended on it. There there seem to be those who, in my opinion (please note this is my opinion only. My Blog, My Thoughts) who do it to take what they think is the easy way out. I can't see how reducing the amount of food your stomach can hold and all the potential health issues that can come from surgery is easier than making the decision to change your habits and your own life through your own will. I look at some of these folks and all I can think to myself is "you're not that big."

I know I am a large man myself and on more than one occasion I have tried to lose weight and in some cases I have succeeded and in other cases I have failed. When I have failed it was my inability to commit to the lifestyle changes that are required in order for the changes I wanted to see to my body occur. I feel that sometimes humans take the path of least resistance, and don't fight for what they want or need or now is right anymore. In anything.

Since I am on an opinion kick today I am also concerned about the number of guys I know who are going on CPAP machines. If I have a couple of poor nights sleep my husband always asks; "maybe you have sleep apnea?" to which my standard response is "no, I just slept like shit, it happens." My biggest problem with sleep apnea and a CPAP machine is the sleep test. I have never heard of anyone, EVER who has gone to a sleep test and not walked away with an order for a CPAP machine. Not once. I can't even see how someone who is a good sleeper could even walk away without failing. You're in a strange place, a strange bed, hooked up to machines. Yea, now go to sleep. That is not going to happen. I've even heard it referred to now as a "bear right of passage," almost like a badge of honor. These things trouble me and make me wonder about what is medically necessary, and what is says about healthcare as a corporation. Sadly I have noticed this worldwide, not just where medicine is privatized. Anyway I certainly don't have the answers but sometimes someone needs to ask the question.

2 comments:

  1. I had the sleep test machine at home. It was still far from my normal night with all the cords connected and so on. I felt I slept like 2 hours. According to logs from that night I had some long breaks (20 seconds) in breathing but my blood oxygen levels still stayed on acceptable level. No CPAP for me. As long as I can keep my nose open and not stuffed like it is 80% of the time, I'm fine.

    And about loosing weight.. I have gained 5kg in a year and I like how my belly starts to look. But at the same time I should do more exercise to keep my body in shape. I think I'm happy if I reach 100kg (98kg now) and then I'll try to keep it there. Yes, I know I'm skinny and I should not comment this blog entry. But even skinny people can have apnea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Markku, I can honestly say I think you are the first person I know who has had a sleep test and has not received a CPAP. Also, as I stated this is my opinion. And you look lovely :).

    ReplyDelete