Thursday, October 6, 2011

Baking and Stuff

So I have been doing a fair amount of baking lately, almost all cheesecakes...the baked kind, not the chilled kind. I am toying with the idea of selling these little beauties out of my home so I have been trying different recipes to see how will they work, can be duplicated, improved upon, multiplied and reduced depending on the number I want to make. So far I have made varieties of Nutella, NY Style Plain and Chocolate and today or tomorrow I will try a pumpkin cheesecake. First I need to find canned pumpkin, but I found a store that carries it, The English Shop so I will make a trip down there later today.

There is a tradition here in Sweden and it is the Fika (pronounced "fee-ka"). It is traditionally a group coffee break that is accompanied by sweets. Most offices have them weekly and either the company provides the sweets, or there is a rotational list of employees and everyone takes a turn providing the sweets for the office. I am seriously working on creating a menu of items and starting a Fika Service. I would test and perfect a manageable number of menu items that I can produce out of my own home where people could order items when it was their turn to provide items for Fika. I would limit it to cheesecakes (a variety), cookies (also about 6 different kinds) and maybe something like cupcakes (but I would need to work on my frosting skills) or maybe some cakes that are not frosted like apple cakes and pumpkin and banana breads.

I think this is something that could work, and maybe I can post recipes, and other shopping tips such as where to find things in Sweden on this blog. I DO know that if I am going to continue to bake like this I need to do something with this stuff other than eat it, I can't afford to gain the weight! If you have any thoughts or ideas I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment