Wednesday, February 27, 2013

True or False

I was having a chat with an old friend the other day, and the direction of our conversation turned to people we both have known for a long time. In my experience there are two kinds of people you meet in life; those who are truly genuine and those who seem to be nice to you because they want something. It could be sex, popularity, or a myriad of other reasons, but what it is they want is irrelevant. To me, people either ring true, or false.

This is my perception of people, and maybe it is very narrow. I suppose it is true that every person probably has a bit of each in them, and it would stand to reason as none of us are intrinsically one thing or another but a combination of many attributes, however I think that it would be unusual for me to see both "true" and "false" in the same person. What puzzles me is when people who I feel are true, obviously click with someone who I find false. It makes me question my entire opinion of all parties involved, including myself.

When this happens I wonder if I am too harsh on people. Do I limit myself by not giving people more of a chance to prove themselves as true? Often there are things about that person that just rub me the wrong way, and I get wedded to that opinion, and when that happens my opinion is not easy to change. Another odd thing is when someone who I feel is true clicks with someone I feel is false my opinion of that true drops a bit.

Relationships of any kind are complex. I am not sure what all of this says about me, other than that I can be judgmental, but I truly feel I give people ample opportunity to show me who they are. Maybe, I'm just a butthead.

11 comments:

  1. I say "go with your gut feelings" regarding character. My experience is that you're rarely wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, I generally do but sometimes I do wonder especially when someone I see as true really clicks with someone I see as false.

      Delete
  2. You know, I find this idea very difficult myself to judge with people as I like to believe people have at least both sides in them.
    But as I get older I do tend to find you're actually right where people simply fall into one camp or the other. Although I do always try to at least keep an open mind and think that even those who ring true can make a mistake by falling into a situation where they ring false. If that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quint, I guess what I see is yes everyone has the capacity to be both, but rarely do I see both sides in someone as my experience has been that people behave they way they either want you to perceive them or how they just naturally react to you, either true or false. Because of that I generally never see both in the same person, but it could explain why someone I see as true may react positively to someone I see as false. Convoluted enough for you? :)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha yeah that's quite convoluted ;P but I do see what you mean though.
      Maybe certain people make that decision when they meet someone, to either go for some kind of personal gain (and so ultimately fall under False in that relationship) or put in the effort to be a decent person (and so falls under True).

      I have a friend who I met years ago and initially he simply wanted sex, but for certain reasons we both moved past that and have now become good friends and is someone I definitely trust. Now this is probably an exception to the rule (or at least that's what I'm finding as I grow older), but maybe there is a case for someone being capable of both.

      And with people who simply fall under False all the time, who become friends with people who I categorise as True are definitely the exception to the rule in my experience as either the True one later turns out to be False or their friendship simply doesn't last as the True one realises the other is a False one. If that makes any sense lol

      Delete
    3. LOL It does.....totally! Guess this one resonated with a few folks.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it boils down to watching how people treat you and others and not with whom they are social. I have friends that are definitely on the "false" list and I keep them in check and put them in their place in my life and heart. A great friend and mentor of mine taught me that you should be friends with many but only trust a few. He also told me that those in what you call the "false" group can hurt you unless your expectations of them stay realistic. Last, even those who I would call false have some redeeming qualities and may add something to your life. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Billy, everyone brings something to the party!

      Delete
    2. I think that's a very good rule to live by actually. Only sometimes emotions cloud my judgement which is when things go pear shaped in the long run lol

      Delete