Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Outside looking in.

Today I was approached online by someone whom I do not know who seemed quite taken with the fact that we can move every few years for Carl's job. 

We get this often, and I sometimes think people romanticize what our life is like.  Yes we get to move and that means packing up all your crap and deciding what stays and goes and what's important to you or not every 3-5 years. Yes that leaves you with a slightly pared down life, but you don't have the ability to keep heirlooms and items that may be important to you as easily as you think. 

Yes we get to travel to new places and make new friendships, but we also have to leave those friendships behind and be away from our families for long periods of time too not to mention we need to start all over again when we get somewhere new. 

We're currently on holidays and in Canada visiting Carl's family. Last night we went to dinner at my sister and brother-in-laws house. As we sat at the table talking I noticed a lush, big, beautiful fig tree in their dining room and all I could think was; "wow that is beautiful, but I can't have one because I'd eventually just have to give it away or throw it out." 

I think I'm getting weary of thinking in those terms and I'm really looking forward to being able to come home to Canada in a couple of years. The grass is always greener on the other side, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment