Sunday, August 24, 2014

Yes, we're still going.

Our move to Tel Aviv is just 6 days away. By this time next week I will be waking up in Israel. I have been contacted publicly and privately by friends and relatives with their concerns and fears for our safety. As much as I appreciate that concern and on some level I understand it, please be aware that those statements make moving to another country, which is stressful in any circumstance that much harder.

This will not be a political post. As the spouse of a Canadian government employee I have no politics. What I will say though is Tel Aviv is still very safe. Life goes on, people go out to eat and party, people go to work, visit friends and are social, and life continues on. Tel Aviv was one of our choices that we submitted for consideration. This is not a posting arbitrarily thrust upon us by Carl's employer and being aware of the history of the region it would be disingenuous for us to say that we never could imagine this would happen. We both look forward to seeing what Tel Aviv, Israel and the region have in store for us and exploring where we can. The reality of my husbands career is that we may be posted to a tough place now and again. It goes with the job and everyone in the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development knows that.

As for me, I have no idea what I will be doing there. Will I work? Im going to try but my first point of order is to establish our home there once we have our housing and our shipment arrives. After that is said and done I will see what's next for me. 

We both appreciate all the concern for our well being, but please support us instead of question us. Remember we will more than likely be swimming in the Medeteranian on Christmas Day and you won't be. It can't be that bad. ☺️




6 comments:

  1. While Israel isn't exactly on my travel wish list, I will be interested in your impressions of the country and the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to both you and Carl. I hope the move and move-in are both easy and stress free. I mean, you'll need some free time to to find out what's the latest swim gear for December...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of what Paul Theroux said about Africa: "All news out of Africa is bad. It made me want to go there." You'll have a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you and Carl and the furkids all the best, Jay! I wish I could visit you over there, since I didn't get to Sweden. Just the thought of all those Israeli hotties, gives me the vapours... ooh Laws...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely coming if invited to set up the Middle East arm of the dog massage school once you've made lots of dog owner chums. Enjoy the next adventure. Geronimo as the Dr would say. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Tel Aviv earlier this year and I have to say I felt very at home and comfortable there. There is a great ice-cream place by the opera building a few blocks south of the embassy. Go there!

    ReplyDelete