Saturday, June 29, 2013

Marriages resume in California!

I woke up this morning to find that the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has lifted the stay, and marriages are currently happening in California. Both sets of Plaintiffs that were part of the Prop8 SCOTUS ruling are now married. It makes me cry, because I know how long many have waited for this and struggled to make it happen. Especially when many of us thought that Prop8 would fail in the first place.
San Francisco, you have NO idea how much I miss you right now. I remember when I was working at 1455 Market Street in 2004 when then Mayor Newsom allowed marriages to take place. From my office I overlooked City Hall and I could see couples lining up every day waiting to see if it would happen to them, random strangers bringing people flowers for their ceremonies and the feeling of excitement and love that was there, and then all that happened afterward that led to the events this week. I can only imagine what that vibe is right now in the city I miss so much. Enjoy it my friends, you are part of history.


No comments:

Post a Comment